The National Federation of the Blind of Colorado and the Colorado Center for the Blind are partnering again for our 2nd 6 Dot Dash 5k, June 29! Our first year was a big success with 191 runners (and/or walkers) and netting more than $5000 for our Braille literacy and scholarship programs. Not bad for the first lap! Besides, it was a lot of fun.
This year is shaping up to be even bigger and better, with more kid activities, local food vendors, live music and more beer, just to name a few of this year’s additions. It’s a great way to spend a mid-summer Saturday morning!
The “6 Dot” refers to the six dots that make up each Braille cell. And it’s the combination of these dots that make the letters of the alphabet and punctuation that blind people read by touch.
This summer we will hold three Confidence/BELL Camps ;in Colorado for blind kids ages 5 to 11, where blind kids can learn that learning Braille is fun. Your participation in the 6 Dot Dash 5K will help bring the lifelong gift of literacy to kids from Littleton to Grand Junction.
It’s summer fun for the future of blind Colorado kids – you can’t go wrong!
Register Now! You can sign up as an individual, build a team or just make a donation!
Some more of this year’s highlights:
- Collectable Race Medal with Braille and Print
- The medal is part of a three year series that, when combined, makes up a beautiful mountain range. YEAR ONE SAYS Live The Life you Want in both Print and Braille, Year Two says Nobody Can Stop You, and Year Three says Shoot for the Sun. You’ll want to collect all three, which means you need to Register Now to get the 2019 medal!
- Awesome tank style race tee!
- This year we will have a great new design and color for our race shirts, which of course are part of each racer’s great swag!
- More Activities for the Kids
- We’re really excited about our kids activities this year, including face painting, a bouncy house, cotton candy, and popcorn all for FREE! We will also have Harley’s hot Dogs and Kona Ice in the house for more treats for the whole family.
- FREE BEER
- Blind Faith Brewery and St. Patrick’s Day Brewery will be returning to pour up their brews for tasting by everyone over 21. We’re excited to report that Littleton’s Jackass Hill Brewery will join them this year. So, you’ll definitely want to wet your post-5K whistle, but don’t forget to bring your ID.
- Bigger and Better Event Expo
- We will have great exhibitors including 5 Wellbeing Spa (they are bring a sound resonance chair for everyone to enjoy), chair massage, essential oils, Tupperware, paparazzi jewelry, 31, Dot Dot Smile, Oroweat Organics, Ameritech Windows, Lula Roe, and much more. Many of our vendors are donating a portion of their proceeds so come ready to shop!
- Live Music
- We claim this band as our own, and you’ll love them too! Stray Dog will begin their live performance at 10:30. You’ll want to stick around to hear this great local group, and maybe you’ll become a Dog-Head too!