Year-round Youth Programs
FAST stands for Fun Activities and Skills Training. This program will meet the second Saturday of each month throughout the school year. Some Saturdays we will simply focus on having fun as we develop skills. Other Saturdays we will participate in a variety of challenge recreation activities.
You won’t want your kids to miss it!
Skills + Confidence = Success!
Check out the Summer Youth Video to get a real flavor for the Summer Program:
The Summer Youth Programs at the Colorado Center for the Blind are designed to provide students with the opportunity to obtain skills needed to achieve success in school, interact with peers in a variety of social situations, gain a knowledge of the working world, and build self-confidence and self-esteem. Students participate in extracurricular activities in addition to our core classes of Braille, Cane Travel, Computer Technology, Home Management and Blindness Philosophy.
Classes and activities give students full belief in themselves as blind people. We offer specialized instruction to meet the individual needs of each student. Students have the opportunity to work with a dynamic staff who are themselves competent blind people.
Students will experience:
- Living in apartments with counselors and peers
- Independent travel in a variety of settings
- Instruction in cooking, meal planning, cleaning, and shopping using a courtesy clerk
- Budgeting and personal financial management
- Confidence building during challenge recreation activities
- Age appropriate social activities
- Career exploration and job shadowing successful blind adults
- Training and assessment on the latest adaptive technology
- learning to work with college disability services offices
- finding accessible textbooks
- managing onling learnine management systems
- Leadership development
- Developing a positive philosophy of blindness
This two-week-long day program serves children aged five through eleven who live in the Denver metro area. It begins at the end of school in June each year. In addition to the four core classes, students will prepare lunch each day and focus on household chores like making the bed, vacuuming, washing dishes, and sweeping. Not only will the students work on building their skills but, even more importantly, they will gain confidence in themselves by participating in many exciting activities such as swimming, hiking, picnicking, and going to an amusement park.
Get a taste of the fun, the learning and the great energy from our Confidence Camp Video!